Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sermon Synopsis for April 27, 2008

“What Does God Want From Me?” 2 Corinthians 8:1-15

We have had a stewardship emphasis for the past 2 weeks:

First we found that our relationship with God must be good before we can be good stewards.

Second learned that we need to define our relationship with stuff (in our heart)

In this third installment we look at our giving.

I like the old story about the guy who came to church with his family. As they were driving home afterwards he was complaining about everything. He said, “The music was too loud. I didn’t know any of the songs. The sermon was too long. The announcements were unclear. The building was hot. The people were unfriendly.” He went on and on, complaining about virtually everything.

Finally, his very observant son said, “Dad, you’ve got to admit it wasn’t a bad show for just a dollar.”

LEARNING ABOUT GIVING AND RECEIVING

I learned about giving from the poor.
I didn’t expect that.
I expected (as a North American missionary) to give to them, and teach them about giving.
You see, the general understanding is: Those who have it, give to those who don’t.
I found out I was sorely wrong.

It bothered me. These people, who had next to nothing, were giving to me (chickens, potatoes, bus fare, taking time from their underpaid work to help me with menial tasks). They invited me to dinner – gave me chicken, when I knew that their children were only eating potatoes and rice.

It bothered me.

At first, I offered to pay; that really insulted them.

I had to learn to receive before I could learn how to give.
All of us need to do that.

I came to work with a group of pastors who are giving of their lives to the Lord’s service (a group of 18). They barely live on the few $ the church pays them, sometimes living in unfinished quarters on the church property. Many rejected by their families for following God (protestant) – and for being pastors. I needed to raise $30,000 for lots for retirement homes for them. It’s the least I can do for these servants of God. I would never have attempted this, if I had not first seen their giving. The next challenge is building materials.

I’ll tell you about each of them and their stories if you ask me.

THE APOSTLE PAUL’S EXPERIENCE

The apostle Paul traveled around, starting churches, preaching, making tents, spreading the good news of Jesus. His travels took him through the region of Macedonia, during his second and third missionary trips (Acts 16-21).

Macedonia was a Roman Province. It included the cities of Berea, Thessalonica, Apolonia, Philippi, Amphipolis, and Neapolis, which Paul visited. There were people like Lydia, a roman jailor, probably Luke, etc.

In today’s Scripture Paul writes to the believers in Corinth. This was a church with everything – all the gifts needed for a good church, material wealth, a well established church, diverse. But they had problems (some I wouldn’t want to face as a pastor).

One of the difficulties was a lack of love; in spite of many wondrous gifts of the Spirit, they were short on love. Furthermore, their love did not overflow into generosity, but rather ended in pride.

Paul talked to them about the believers in the poor, remote region of Macedonia.

It’s hard to receive advice from those we consider inferior to us. Sort of like the USA receiving advice from the 3rd world. That shouldn’t happen.

As I read this scripture, I ask, “What did God want from the Believers in Corinth?”
It makes me ask, “What does God want from me?”

LIVING BEYOND YOUR MEANS

The Macedonians were known for hardships and extreme poverty.
Verse 3 – “they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability.” (NIV)
The Message puts it this way, “They gave what they could, even far more than they could afford.”

I’ve heard of people charging credit cards more than they could afford.
I’ve heard of people spending beyond their means.
I’ve heard of people getting buried in a load of debt because they spend beyond their ability to pay.
I’ve heard of people living beyond their means.

But I’ve never heard of people giving to God and God’s church more than they could afford.

You just can’t out-give God.


"Whose French Fries Are They?"
A man took his son to a fast food restaurant. He buys his little boy some french fries.

Then the father does what all fathers do, he reaches over and takes one french fry to taste it.

The little boy slaps his father’s hand and says, "Don’t touch my french fries."

The father thinks that his son is selfish. The father knows that he bought the french fries and they belong to him. The father knows that his son belongs to him.

The father could get angry and never buy his son another french fry again to teach his son a lesson, or the father could "bury" his son in french fries. The father thinks, "Why is my son selfish, I have given him a whole package of french fries; I just want one french fry."

Of course the point of the story has to do with us.
God has given us money (and all we have), we belong to God. When God asks for a tithe or a portion back, people figuratively slap His hand and say, "Keep Your hands off my money."

Whose French fries are they anyway?

OUR GOD WILL PROVIDE FOR ALL YOUR NEEDS

Tony Campolo tells of being invited to speak at a ladies meeting. There were 300 women there. Before he spoke the president of the organization read a letter from a missionary. It was a very moving letter. In the letter the missionary expressed a need for $4,000 to take care of an emergency that had cropped up. So the president of the organization said, "We need to pray that God will provide the resources to meet the need of this missionary. Bro. Campolo will you please pray for us?"

Tony Campolo, who is very outspoken said, "No." Startled, she said, "I beg your pardon." He said, "No, I won’t pray for that." He said, "I believe that God has already provided the resources & that all we need to do is give. Tell you what I’m going to do. I’m going to step up to this table & give every bit of cash I have in my pocket. And if all of you will do the same thing, I think God has already provided the resources." The president of the organization chuckled a little bit & said, "Well, I guess we get the point. He is trying to teach us that we all need to give sacrificially."

He said, "No, that is not what I am trying to teach you. I’m trying to teach you that God has already provided for this missionary. All we need to do is give it. Here, I’m going to put down all of my money I have with me." He wrote, "I only had $15 in my pocket so I wasn’t too worried about that." So he put down his $15 & then looked at the president of the organization. Reluctantly, she opened her purse & took out all of her money, which was about $40, & put it on the table. One by one the rest of the ladies filed by & put their money on the table, too. When the money was counted they had collected more than $4,000."

Tony Campolo said, "Now, here’s the lesson. God always supplies for our needs, & he supplied for this missionary, too. The only problem was we were keeping it for ourselves. Now let’s pray & thank God for His provision."

God knows we have limited resources.

Can it be that our limited resources are more than we think?

WHAT DO YOU HAVE FOR LUNCH
I showed the children the lunch I packed: two small cans of tuna and five rolls.

I asked if I had enough to share with everyone. They didn’t think so. One boy thought that, maybe, everyone could have a very small bite.

I told them that it reminds me of a story (See John 6:1-13)

A little boy gave Jesus his lunch. Not 10%, not half, not even 90%, he gave his whole lunch.

Did the boy go hungry? No, everyone (more than 5000 people), ate until they were full. There were even 12 baskets of bread left over.

I don’t know how Jesus did it. But I know it wouldn’t have happened if a little boy didn’t offer his lunch to Jesus.

What about your lunch? What do you have, that, in the hands of Jesus, could be used to minister to everyone around you?

5 loaves and 2 fish seem entirely inadequate for feeding 5000 people.

Jesus told his disciples, “With men it is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” (Mt. 19:26)

What does Jesus want to do in your neighborhood?

What’s in your lunchbox?