Monday, March 5, 2007

Sojournal article for March

Teach your children the language of faith

There is an old joke that circulates among missionaries and other expatriates.
Q: What do you call a person who speaks three languages?
A: trilingual.
Q: What do you call a person who speaks two languages?
A: bilingual.
Q: What do you call a person who speaks one language?
A: American.

Linguists tell us that the majority of people in the world speak more than one language. In Bolivia, I was always amazed to find people, who had no more than a 3rd grade education, but could fluently speak Spanish, Quechua, Aymara, some Portuguese and English. Many of my theology students could easily pick up Greek or Hebrew.

Linguists also tell us that children learn languages much faster than adults. You don’t have to tell me that; I remember when my daughters were chattering with the kids on the street and I didn’t have a clue what they were saying.

Language is the basis for culture, learning and communication. Regardless of your position on immigration, English is necessary to succeed in American society. Being bilingual is a distinct advantage.

What about faith?

How absurd it would be to say, “English is the language I prefer, but I don’t want to push it on my kids.” Or maybe, “I’ll raise my kids without a language, and when they are old enough, they can choose for themselves.” How about, “I hope they grow up to speak English, but it’s really not my place to push a language on them.”

It sounds absurd, but in many ways, we treat our faith like that. Passing on our faith should be as natural as speaking English to our children.

Linguists tell us that the best way to learn a language is by total immersion (a good word for Baptists). We can learn a language in a classroom situation, but by encountering it and using it in everyday activities, the learning process is enhanced. Faith is not something that is learned at Sunday School alone, but by living in a family that is fully immersed in living its faith on a daily basis.

The great prophet Moses put it this way:
“These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up” (Deuteronomy 6:6-7 NIV)

The Lenten period is a great time to teach our children the language of faith. “¿Se habla Christian?”

Pastor Steve Crane